This is the festive time of year, when family members, visit each other. All generations of the family are together in the same place sharing lots of memories, and welcoming new babies, and grandchildren. Some are enjoying the crackling fireplace, while little children are running around, enjoying their new toys. Sounds of laughter and joy permeate the household.
This is the time of year, that it is extremely important to think "HOW SAFE IS MY HOME?
- Have I child-proofed the home, so the little ones visiting will be safe?
- Have I prepared for the grandparents who could so easily slip in the bathtub, or on the throw rug, that was not tacked down?
- Have I had my chimney checked by the certified chimney sweep, before I lit that first fire?
- Have I baby-proofed all of the electric outlets, and had child-proof locks put on all of the cabinets, that could contain medicines, and unsafe products for children?
- Have I used battery operated candles instead of regular candles, to prevent a fire, that can so easily occur from a flame from the regular candles?
- Have I made sure the Christmas tree is fresh,and watered daily, and the Christmas lights have been checked for safety? Remember only 3 strands on a socket?
- Have I had extra lighting installed outside, so all of our guests can walk safely to and from our home, when it is dark?
- Have I checked all of our steps both inside and outside our home to be sure there is a railing, that each guest can hold onto, so they will not fall?
- Have I checked the smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors, to be sure they have working, new batteries.?
- Have I instructed my family to have an emergency plan, in case of a fire, or a disaster. Know who you will contact, in case of such an emergency.
- Have I checked the weather report, before I start out on a short or long trip to be sure I have all of the necessary survival equipment, in case we get stranded?
- Have I checked the label on the gifts, to be sure they are safe for the intended recipient?
- Have I put any prepared food I am delivering in either a ice chest for cold foods, or an insulated container for hot items?
- Have I remembered to unplug the Christmas tree, and all of the lights, before I retire for the evening?
If you have considered each of the questions, you can now settle down, and have a relaxing, wonderful visit with all of your friends and relatives during this upcoming Holiday season.
Happy Holidays and a Safe Holiday to EVERYONE!
Article written by Nancy Harvey Steorts, former Chairman of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission., author, of Your Home Safe Home, Safe Living in a Dangerous World, Safety and You, founder and President of Nancy Harvey Steorts International, an international product safety expert, and Associate Broker at Long and Foster, McLean. For more information contact Nancy Steorts at firstname.lastname@example.org.